Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

The first sentence from each chapter of Hex Hall, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*some words blanked out to prevent spoilers, to view just highlight the sentence.

"Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom."


"Well?"


"I heard the man and woman cry out a warning as I fran-tically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need."

"The "Holy-crap-that's-a-lot-of-pink" Zone would have been a more accurate description."

"Once I'd gotten that out of my system, I still had an hour until dinner."

"When someone tells you somebody's been murdered, laughing is probably not the best response."

"The dining hall was completely bizarre."

"As soon as the lights went out, I expected that usual thing that happens when a teacher turns off the lights: laughter, oooohs, and the rustling of clothing and squeak-ing of chairs that tell you people are scooting closer together, probably to make out."

"Thanks to his long-legged stride, I nearly had to jog to catch up with Archer."

"The three of them led me to Elodie and Anna's room."

"By Jenna's definition, it took me a week and a half to become legendary."

"For a second I thought he was still going to refuse, but then he looked back at me and muttered, "Fine."

"After that little tidbit of information, I did something I have never done in my entire life."

"Her office was on the first floor, off the sitting room with the spindly chairs."

"After our little meeting, Mrs. Casnoff gave me the rest of the afternoon off to, as she put it, "reflect on what you've learned."

"Two days later I started cellar duty."

"I noticed the tiny puncture wounds just below her jaw, and longer, more vicious-looking slashes on both her wrists, which were dripping blood onto the floor."

"When I returned to my room, Jenna was inside, sitting on the dresser next to the window."

"A week later, things still weren't any better."

"By the beginning of October, Chaston had sent written testimony into the Council, stating she couldn't remember anything about the attack, so Jenna was allowed to stay."

"Later that night I worked on Ms. East's essay while Archer catalogued; I'd already written Byron's in my last class of the day, Classifications of Shapeshifters."

"I sat up in bed, blinking."

"Okay, why would I want that?"

"So," I breathlessly asked Archer a week later, "have you picked out the perfect shade of pink for your tux yet?"

"Classes were canceled the day of the ball, and since it was another one of those beautiful, clear October days, nearly everybody spent it outside."

"I tried to whirl around, but it's hard to do when you're squashed between a bunch of people and wearing a big dress."

"Anna wasn't dead, thank God."

"I knew it," she said, louder now."

"I'd figured that Elodie wouldn't want to go back with me to see Alice again after the "my gaping chest wound, let me show you it" thing, but she surprised me by meet-ing me on the stairs the next night."

"At first I refused to believe what I was seeing."

"I thought the news about Archer would really upset people, but the opposite ended up being true."

"I was certain I'd find Elodie lying bleeding or maybe even dead when I got to the cemetery."

"So it turns out I'm a demon," I told Jenna the next afternoon."

3 comments:

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)