Monday, September 12, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

The first sentence from each chapter of Anna and the French Kiss, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amélie and Moulin Rouge.”

I feel it coming, but I can’t stop it.”

The next morning, I consider stopping by Meredith’s, but I chicken out and walk to breakfast by myself.”

The H-through-P line moves slowly.”

To: Anna Oliphant <bananaelephant@femmefilmfreak.net>
From: Bridgette Saunderwick bridgesandwich@freebiemail.com
Subject: Don’t look now but...
...the bottom right corner of your bed is untucked.”

One week into school, and I’m knee-deep in Fancy International Education.”

The party people have left the dorm.”

I hope you’re wearing a beret.”

St. Clair tucks the tips of his fingers into his pockets and kicks the cobblestones with the toe of his boots.”

It’s better this way.”

You owe me five bucks, I say.”

To: Anna Oliphant bananaelephant@femmefilmfreak.net
From: James Ashley james@jamesashley.com
Subject: Gentle Reminder

Hello, honey.”

Un place s’il vous plaît.”

Don’t y’all think it’s kind of cliché to have a picnic in a graveyard on Halloween?”

St. Clair is drunk.”

I’m mopping up his mess with a towel when there’s a knock on my door.”

The pâtisserie has thick planks of creaky hardwood and a chandelier draped with tinkly strings of topaz crystals.”

Happy Thanksgiving to you!”

There it is!”

St. Clair is sitting on my floor.”

I mean I didn’t SLEEP sleep with him.”

Saturday is another day of wandering, food, and movies, followed by an awkward conversation in the stairwell.”

A fist pounds against my door.”

I’m jittery.”

Sofia is dead.”

Wait.”

Anna.”

To: Anna Oliphant bananaelephant@femmefilmfreak.net
From: Étienne St. Clair etiennebonaparte@soap.fr
Subject: HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Have you gotten used to the time difference?”

In the history of terrible holidays, this ranks as the worst ever.”

It saddens me how relieved I feel to be going back to France.”

I study him.”

It’s a physical sickness.”

The front-desk girl smiles when she sees me.”

The band in the club is rocking so hard, screaming guitars and furious drumming and shouting lyrics, I can hardly hear myself think.”

Wow, Anna.”

I can’t believe you had lunch with David.”

Okay, so Dave isn’t as attractive as St. Clair.”

Now I know why people are always carrying on about Paris in the springtime.”

My first thought is Ellie.”

The head gave me detention.”

Let’s see.”

Arghhh!”

I can’t look at him for the rest of detention.”

The rest of the week is quiet.”

I return to Résidence Lambert.”

What the hell are you doing here?”

Rashmi clears her throat and glares at us.”

2 comments:

  1. I totally fell in love with Anna and the French Kiss!! This book is an amazing look at the roller coaster life of Anna Oliphant, senior in a high school in Atlanta, Georgia, who is told by her writer father that she is being sent to a boarding school in Paris...France! This is quite traumatic in a number of ways to Anna, first off she has never been out of the country, secondly she is leaving her possible boyfriend Toph. But she's thrown to the City of Lights for nine months and slowly learns to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely agree with you. This is one of my top 5 favorite contemporary YA books. Love all the humor and characters.

      Delete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)