Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sentence Sneak Peek - Ignite Me

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

The first sentence from each chapter of Ignite Me, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“I am an hourglass.”

“My body locks.”

Hang tight
         Hold on
         Look up
        Stay strong
       Hang on
      Hold tight
     Look strong
    Stay up
   One day I might break
  One day I might
 b r e a k
  free

Warner can’t hide his surprise when he walks back into the room.”

“What?”

“I’ve lost the ability to speak.”

“I suppose you could call it that.”

“I fall backward onto the bed and make an angry noise deep inside my throat.”

“My food is cold.”

“I can’t scream.”

“I wake up on my stomach.”

“I take a quick shower, careful not to let the water touch my hair.”

Warner was right.”

“Anyone would be able to find Omega Point now.”

Warner tackles me to the ground just as the sound of gunshots fills the air.”

“Kenji is stomping toward me, his eyes blazing.”

“Who?”

Adam’s old place is exactly as I remember it.”

Adam leads me towards the couch, but Kenji intercepts us.”

“Everyone is gaping at me.”

“He’s standing at the front door, hands shoved casually in his pockets, no fewer than six different guns pointed at his face.”

“The room is quiet for a long time.”

“Everyone crowds around Castle at once; James practically tackles him.

“Kenji is waiting on the other side.”

James, is my first thought.”

“I shuffle over to the door and Kenji grabs my arm to lead me outside.”

“When we make it back to the house, Castle is standing in the far corner, talking to Winston.”

“Adam is ignoring me.”

“I’m standing in the middle of the room, staring at nothing.”

Warner is holding my hand.”

Warner still hasn’t said a single word to me.”

“I decide to take a bath.”

“My eyes fly open.”

“I have to leave in seven minutes.”

“I’m sitting on one of the benches, toying with five-pound dumbbells, when I hear his voice.”

“Kenji is staring at me, concerned.”

“We’re all sitting on benches around the training room.”

“You didn’t tell me what you thought of my plan.”

“I never thought I’d see Warner in sweatpants.”

“We’ve been practicing all week.”

Warner is in the shower when I get back up to the room.”

Adam is already here.”

“I am going to kill you.”

“Alis has designed me a new suit.”

“Punch me.”

“The days have flown by, kites carrying them off into the distance.”

“I have to visit my mother today.”

“I feel strange, all day.”

Warner is late.”

“This is it.”

“There’s a bed in here.”

Kenji is waiting in the tank when we get back.”

“I finally manage to pull myself together long enough to head back to the training rooms.”

“I get to my feet.”

“It takes a couple of seconds for the two of us to register what’s just happened before Kenji rips his hand away, and in a moment of perfect spontaneity, uses it to punch Adam in the face.”

“When I get off the elevator and step into Warner’s office, all the lights are off.”

Warner has been asleep all morning.”

“My suit is ready.”

“Aaron?”

“I’m sitting on the edge of the bed, elbows propped up on my knees, face dropped into my hands.”

“There’s an audible gasp from the soldiers standing just below.”

“We’re running through the courtyard and right through base, and as soon as we’re out of sight, Kenji pulls back the invisibility.”

Warner pulls me to the side.”

“We’re all sitting around again.”

“Warner is sitting in one corner.”

“What did you say to him?”

“It took one day.”

“Kenji grabs my arm.”

“I have no idea where Kenji is.”

“I slam my elbow into the door behind me, shattering the wood into splinters that fly everywhere.”

“The halls are still now.”

“There’s a huge bed in here with a large window and a beautiful view of the ocean.”

“Kenji’s voice hits me like a fist to the throat.

Anderson is standing over me now, pointing a gun at my face.”

“Twice.”

“I tuck the gun back into its holster.”

“I take a step forward and my legs tremble, threaten to bend and break beneath me, but I push myself to keep moving.”

“The compounds are such bleak, barren places, I think, as I pass through them.”

“He pulls himself up onto the roof and walks over to me, so steadily.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)