Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sentence Sneak Peek - Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

The first sentence from each chapter of Dorothy Must Die, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Book read via the publisher for review.
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“I first discovered I was trash three days before my ninth birth-day—one year after my father lost his job and moved to Secaucus to live with a woman named Crystal and four years before my mother had the car accident, started taking pills, and began exclusively wearing bedroom slippers instead of normal shoes.”

“I had to admit it looked a little scary outside: the darkening sky stretched over the empty, flat plain—a muddy, pinkish brown I’d never seen before—and the air seemed eerily still.”

“When I came to, the first thing I saw was the spongy gray floor of the trailer above me.”

Star and I walked, following the road, and when she seemed to get tired, I took her and placed her on my shoulder, where she perched patiently and looked out into the distance.”

“Dorothy happened.”

“Now, can you tell me what was going on back there?”

“We need to move,” Indigo said.”

“I knew we were really in trouble when I saw that Indigo was too scared to even mutter an I told you so.”

“We were standing in the middle of the road and then we weren’t.”

“My prison cell was a perfect cube, all white, without a speck of dirt anywhere.”

“After that, I really lost track of time.”

“I was ready for them when they came for me the next day.”

Mombi let go of my hand as we materialized someplace dark.”

“A chill rushed through my body.”

“I opened my mouth to protest, but all that came out was laughter.”

“I was standing in the middle of an all-white cave.”

“After my training session with Nox, it was a relief to see Gert.”

“What is wrong with that woman?”

“The next day I woke to see that Glamora’s makeover had stuck.”

“When I got to Gert’s cave, she was standing in front of the scry-ing pool again.”

“My pulse was still speeding when I got to the training cave.”

“You were good back there,” Nox said.”

“A screeching sound woke me in the middle of the night.”

“I looked up to see Gert descending from the sky.”

“I woke up the next morning feeling spent and disoriented, my mind a jumble of hazy images that appeared one by one in my head like pages in a horrible picture book.”

“A moment later, I emerged out of a full-length mirror in a sloppy somersault.”

“Today is a beautiful day to be in Oz!”

“On the third day, there was a flutter of activity among the staff.”

The Wizard took a step toward me and tipped his hat, revealing a bald, shiny head with a horseshoe of curly gray hair.”

“I jumped back and gasped.”

“How about you carry a poison capsule in your little jaws and drop it into her mint julep?”

“The next morning, I held Star extra close before depositing her safely in one of my bureau drawers.”

“The first step of my plan was to get out of the rest of my chores.”

“I breathed a sigh of relief the next morning when the sun came up like normal.”

Maude and I materialized right above the sunflowers, just like I pictured, and tumbled in a heap through the petals and leaves, stems cracking beneath us.”

“The hunt was already on when I woke up.”

“Outside the window, the sky turned from blue to purple to black.”

“The hedge maze basically showed me the way out, opening up its walls for me.”

Nox?”

“Dorothy quickly named Sindra the new head maid.”

“Sindra was inappropriately excited considering just yesterday her predecessor’s arm had gotten hacked off.”

“Before I could connect, a black ball of snarling fur flew through the air, aiming straight for me.”

“It’s funny how much time you have to think when you’re plung-ing to your certain death from the top of a tower.”

“A few minutes later, Ollie, Maude, and I landed in a field just outside the city walls.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)