Monday, September 14, 2015

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things


The first sentence from each chapter of The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“I KNOW WHAT THEY CALL ME.”

“AFTER SCHOOL, I STICK A POST-IT ON EMILY FRANKLIN’S locker.”

“AT SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY, SHANE PRETENDS HE DOESN’T know me.”

“I LOVE WEEKENDS.”

“MONDAY MORNING SUCKS SO HARD, I HAVE NO WORDS.”

“I DON’T, OF COURSE.”

“IT’S DUMB TO BE SO NERVOUS.”

“YEAH, I TOTALLY DO.”

“COME WEDNESDAY, I’M STILL WONDERING WHAT SHANE meant.”

“SHANE HELPS ME OFF THE BIKE, AND I’M PRETTY SURE I’M not imagining the intensity as he gazes  into my eyes.”

“WHEN MY AUNT GETS BACK FROM DROPPING LILA OFF, I remember to ask, “Do you know of any place that’s hiring?”

OH.

“TONIGHT, AUNT GABBY HAS ANOTHER DATE WITH UPS Joe.”

“I’M GLAD HE’S NOT COMPLAINING ANYMORE ABOUT how I feed him like a stray dog.”

LYING IN SHANE’S ARMS IS THE BEST THING IN THE world.”

“YOU NEED TO LEAVE HER ALONE,” I SAY QUIETLY.”

“ONCE WE’RE WALKING DOWN THE DRIVE, I ASK, “HOW was work?”

“THERE ARE TWENTY-FIVE PEOPLE IN THE COFFEE SHOP; it’s not exactly a huge audience, but from the sound of their clap-ping, you’d think there were a hundred people in here.”

“COME ON BACK,” I MANAGE TO SAY.”

THE NEXT DAY, I EXPECT THERE TO BE IMMEDIATE FALLOUT, where Dylan challenges my resolve by going back to his old habits, but instead we maintain a cautious truce.”

“DINNER WITH LILA’S FAMILY GOES WELL, THOUGH I’VE never seen so many chicken-fried foods in my life.”

“WHAT’RE YOU TWO UP TO TONIGHT?”

“WHEN I HEAD TO SCHOOL ON MONDAY, IT’S A SHORT week, only three days, since Thursday is Thanksgiving.”

“IN EARLY DECEMBER, THE FIRST SNOW FALLS, AND IT’S cold enough to stick around.”

“JANUARY IS USUALLY A BLAH MONTH, BUT THIS YEAR IT’S kind of magical.”

“I GO TO SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY . . . AND EVERYTHING IS different.”

“THE NEXT DAY, SHANE’S WAITING FOR ME AT THE BIKE rack when I arrive.”

“HALF AN HOUR LATER, MY AUNT SIGHS, HER SHOULDERS rounded in disappointment.”

“IT’S COLD AS HELL OUT HERE.”

JOE IS WAITING FOR US WITH HOT TEA, SOFT BLANKETS, and a tub full of warm water.”

“YOU’RE SAGE, RIGHT?”

“SO I’M PLANTING THE GARDEN WITHOUT SHANE.”

“PROM IS IN THREE WEEKS.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)