Thursday, November 19, 2015

Review - Upside-Down Magic

Upside-Down Magic by Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle, and Emily Jenkins

4 out of 5 gnomes

This is one of those books that I actually found myself wanting to read because of the cover. I work at a library and when I saw this on the holdshelf I knew I had to read it too.

This book is pretty darn adorable and has a heck of an interesting way of looking at magic. In this world it’s common but only certain kinds of magic are accepted. There are Flares, Fuzzies, Flickers, Flyers, and Fluxers. All these magics would be pretty cool on their own but then the whole Upside-Down magic gets thrown in.

These kids with messed up magic are really looked down upon. They are all put into a special classroom to try to understand their brand of magic. All the normal kids don’t exactly look kindly on them though or give them a lot of slack.

Nory is a Fluxer who can change into animals but not quite like she’s supposed to. It’s pretty funny picturing what she turns into. Her family is more than a little dysfunctional too. I don’t like her father at all and her siblings aren’t exactly understanding.

All the characters you meet are fun and have some really interesting magic. It was great in the end how they were all able to work together. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)