Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Sentence Sneak Peek - Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

The first sentence from each chapter of Under Rose-Tainted Skies, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.


* Read via NetGalley for review
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)


I’M GOING TO KILL the damn blackbird sitting on my windowsill, chirping and squeaking at the top of its lungs.”

COAT ON, KEYS IN hand, my mom has a grin plastered across her face and I know my Internet connection lives to fight another day.”

HOME SAFE AND SOUND, at last.”

IT’S SUNDAY.”

YOU MIGHT THINK THAT now that sustenance has been thrown into the mix, my debilitating agoraphobia will take a back seat to my survival instincts.”

THE GROCERY-BAG DEBACLE AND an overabundance of human contact has straight up sucked out all my energy.”

MOSS HAS STARTED TO cover my skin by the time this panic attack is spent.”

IT’S FIVE O’CLOCK, AND I’m reaching into the fridge for a block of cheese when there’s a knock at the door.”

I WAKE WITH A START, cold and drenched in blue light from the standby screen on the television.”

IT’S WEDNESDAY.”

I LIE AWAKE WORRYING ABOUT the party all night, like it’s some crazed serial killer terrorizing our small suburban neighborhood.”

FRIDAY HAPENS, DESPITE MY spending all of Thursday wishing for a Sleeping Beauty-style reprieve, for the world to fall into unconsciousness and wake up on Monday with zero memory of Luke’s party or why it didn’t happen.”

I HAVE A PLAN.”

IT STARTS THE SECOND I begin the Green Mile trudge back to my bedroom; so many thoughts, wrapped around my body like iron chains.”

I DON’T KNOW WHEN NIGHT turns into day.”

DR. REEVES’S PEP TALK is pretty good as sustaining fuel.”

I HATE YOU.”

IT’S GONE DARK.”

MY HAND IS SHAKING.”

DEAR LUKE . . .

IT’S ONLY 7:10 WHEN my cruel mind forces my eyes open.”

I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO say.”

ANOTHER MONDAY MORNING ARRIVES, but, for the first time since June, it looks like it’s going to rain.”

I SLINK BACK INSIDE THE house and close the door.”

LUKE STEPS INSIDE, ARMS open, but he looks less like he’s trying to touch me and more like he’s trying to round up a flock of spooked sheep.”

I SPEND TUESDAY WALKING AROUND on colorful clouds.”

MAYBE WE SHOULD WRAP up early?”

WHEN I GET BACK to my room, the stress balls, along with the happy-shiny pamphlets, get dumped in the bottom drawer of my dresser, where I’m almost certain they’ll stay until the day I die.”

LUKE DROPS BY EVERY night after school for the next week.”

WHEN LUKE SUGGESTED WE sit and count stars the following Friday, I was suspicious.”

IT’S FRIDAY NIGHT, AND for the first time in forever Luke isn’t here.”

Norah,
I’m so sorry.

NORAH, HONEY.”

IT GETS TO FIVE and I’m watching a woman on television turn a pair of old net curtains into what she says will be a “traffic-stopping tunic.”

IT STINGS WHEN I open my eyes.”

GENTLE FINGERS STROKE MY cheek, and my eyes flicker open.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)