Monday, October 9, 2017

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart

The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis

The first sentence from each chapter of The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)


“I can’t say I ever wondered what it felt like to be human.”

“Hunting wasn’t nearly as easy as I’d expected.”

“The first thing I realized when my eyes opened was that I was in the wrong place.”

“Without my flame, I couldn’t even start a fire.”

“By the time we’d been traveling for over an hour, my head was nodding to one side and my backside was aching on the cart’s wooden bench.”

“Chocolate houses were nothing like I’d expected.”

“I’d had no idea that human beings cared so much about money.”

“My stomach growled ferociously as I strode through the narrow, crowded streets of outer Drachenburg.”

“Ha!”

“By the time I’d been Marina’s apprentice for a week, my puny human arms were stronger than I’d imagined possible.”

“The gray sky was full of clouds, and mud sucked wetly at my feet as I walked along the riverbank, but the market where Silke’s brother worked was still teeming with customers.”

“By the time I finally returned to the Chocolate Heart, the gray skies were shifting into a dark, murky charcoal, the air had turned thick and cold, and the chocolate house was closed for the day.”

What?

“I had watched Marina make hot chocolates time and time again.”

“Less than ten minutes after I had made my first hot chocolate, the once-busy, bustling Chocolate Heart was empty.”

“At least being an unpaid maid was easy.”

“Silke grabbed my arm before I could move.”

“When I walked back into the Chocolate Heart after three days away, bright sunlight shone through the glass windows, lighting up the red and gold of the painted walls until they glowed like the heart of a flame.”

“I barely caught my cup as it slipped through my hands, and my chest pierced with longing so bright that it hurt.”

“I scowled at the lines of stiff-backed men in uniform.”

“That was it.”

“High at the top of the clock tower, a chill wind whipped through my hair and against my face, blowing over the waist-high stone walls and through the thin sleeves of my brown dress, and leaving goose bumps prickling all over my skin.”

“If Marina was surprised by her new customers, she didn’t show it.”

“This is so unfair,” Jasper told me six weeks later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)